Monday, January 9, 2012

Love Never Dies - Review

This weekend I went to see Love Never Dies courtesy of tickets that I won through the 'City News' magazine.
Love Never Dies is the sequal to the The Phantom of the Opera. It is set 10 years after the original, and in Coney Island in America. The Phantom has moved here and set up "Phantasom" which is a freak show of sorts. By chance, Christine Daaé, the Phantom's past love/obsession, shows up in New York and of course this brings up the Phantom's obsession once more.
This review won't go into too many details, and won't include any spoilers (unlike a review I read recently, in which the title of the review totally gave away a key story line!).
I was very hesitant in watching this show as I am a huge fan of the Phantom and I was really worried that I would see the sequal and just hate it. Thankfully that didn't happen, I loved it. I didn't love it as much as the original, the songs aren't of the same calibar, and the original will remain my favourite. However I did enjoy it, I liked the way it continued the story, filled in what happened after the Opera House burned down, and brought the relationship between the Phantom and Christine to a conclusion...of sorts....
The show itself is a spectacle that encourages the imagination. The sets are amazing and some of the special 'Coney Island' features are truly impressive.

I would definitely recommend this show to people who have either never seen The Phantom of the Opera before (a friend who went with me has never seen the original show), or have seen the original and loved it. Don't expect to have a strong urge to buy the soundtrack, and I personally don't have an urge to see the performance again (although I could watch the original again and again), but it was enjoyable with a good plot, strong characters and a nice twist at the end. Even my fiancé enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment